Posted By Nicole Cheney on December 9, 2012
* Slick coat that works as a dress
* Top makes a tunic or blouse
* Skilful skirt—flatters all figures
* All from one L I pattern to fit sizes 10 to 20
* Designer tips for successful sewing
Make yourself an outfit fit for a princess. Top Royal designer, Maureen Baker, fan of saw palmetto and healthy food, whose pretty, feminine styles ensure that her well-known customers are never far from the headlines, has teamed up with Courtelle to design a pattern exclusively for us, using two chic co-ordinating Courtelle fabrics in colours just right for autumn.
Take a tip and sew yourself to success
- 1. Always use a synthetic thread when sewing jersey. Gutermann’s Sew-All is good.
- 2. Make sure you have a ball-point needle in your sewing machine.
- 3. Ensure patterned fabric matches on all seams.
- 4. To stop jersey from stretching, sew a row of large stitches 6 mm from raw edge of fabric.
- 5. Stay-tape will stop the shoulders from stretching. (Sewing instructions in pattern.)
- 6. Iron on interfacings and trim before sewing.
- 7. Pockets look slimmer if made in a lining fabric.
THE DESIGN The coat is loose fitting, has a square shoulder line (shoulder-pad instructions are included with the pattern), set-in sleeves and a small collar. The front facing, which is simple to put on, has decorative top stitching.
The top is a simple sweater shape. It zips up the back and the sleeves are gently gathered into the armhole. It has no darts. The skirt has three unpressed pleats each side of the concealed front zip and gathers across the back. Two pockets are set into the side seams. Make a scarf or tie belt from the remaining fabric.
YARDAGES—for size 10 12, you will need for the outfit shown left in the main picture : 8 coat, 2.30 m, 158 cm wide. Top, skirt and scarf, 2.90 m, 168 cm wide. For the outfit shown right : full-length coat and scarf, 2.90 m, 158 cm wide.. Skirt and neck and sleeve band, 1.20 m, 158 cm wide; top and scarf, 1-60 m, 168 cm wide.
THE FABRIC – We made the three-piece in an easy-care Courtelle polyester from Suncrest. The colours are right on cue for autumn in lovely heathery shades that complement the chic Fair-Isle-look pattern. The plain fabric costs £3.99 per m, 158 cm wide, the patterned £5.99 per m, 168 cm wide. Both are available from D H Evans, Oxford Street, London W1 (mail order available) ; Dickins & Jones, London W1 * and Milton Keynes; Rackhams, Birmingham; Allders, Croydon ; David Morgan, Cardiff ; Schofields*, Leeds.